This week we started digging into hydroponics (well, not literally... there's no dirt in hydroponics! See what I did there...) and were having a blast doing it! On the second day of class we had the Hydroponics Challenge, where students were asked to take some items that I collected and develop their own system that they believed would support plant life. We had some great ideas! I was throughly impressed at the ingenuity of these students; though I was a little shocked when I turned around to find a group using a large piece of spouting that I definitely did not provide. They say they got it from the greenhouse, but I have my doubts...
We ended the week by hosting our very own black-tie event. Well, a little less black tie and a little more drawstring hoodie type event, but it was still mighty classy! Our class became a brand new Hydroponic Corporation that wanted to promote their product, so we hosted a Hydroponic Dinner Party! The task was for the "dinner committee" and the "dessert committee" to create a dish to serve at the dinner party that was comprised completely of fruits and veggies that could be grown hydroponically. The committees did a fine job and provided us some scrumptious dishes, that made finishing our guided note packets a little easier.
|Weighing fish with Bob, |
my favorite custodian
However, the challenges really fell with the snow. I experienced my first early dismissal and 2 hour delay, back to back. It posed a little bit of a problem because the project we are working on in our FFA Leadership class has an outside deadline, but we are flexible and making do.
I look forward to starting my 3rd class next week with the industrial arts instructor. I will be beginning a metal fabrication unit with his students... his two 4th period students. I was nervous at first to be in front of only two students but the more I think about it, I'm ready for another set of challenges, so look out Greenwood, Ms. Bisquick is ready to get her weld on!